[mythtv-users] Analog firewire recordings end early due to 25% fewer frames

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 20:31:04 UTC 2009

Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> says:
> It's my prediction that you will find yourself pleasantly surprised
> when you swap for 3200s, let me tell you why

That makes total sense.

> When you swap for 3200s, you will actually be tuning the channels in
> question from entirely different frequencies, and in digital format.
> I expect this is the reason your friend got better results on the
> "same" channels (as they were in fact different channels strictly
> speaking).

I'd have been able to avoid this had I been able to tune the parallel
channels on my cable box (the way many providers simulcast their
analog <100 channels on a >100 tier), but I couldn't find them in any
unoccupied tier below 1000, sadly.

I am confident that the DCH-3200s will solve my issue. It was never a
big deal since I just don't record from the <100 channels very
often--that's why I waited 17 months before bringing it up here--but
it'll be nice to be able to record from TCM and Cartoon Network
reliably when I want to.

Thank you for helping me to understand how the boxes differ, and
thanks to the others in the thread as well.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array