[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Feb 5 20:11:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:45:19AM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> says:
> > ...perhaps we should approach one of the Linux system vendors like
> > System76 with the specs of what we're interested in. A suitable
> > dedicated frontend shares
>
> Do we want a "dedicated" frontend? I'd had in mind a small, compact,

Nope.

> inexpensive, computer that happens to have all the features a frontend
> needs and nothing more. I'd much prefer that to a device that is
> somehow locked in some way to just serving as a MythTV frontend, even

Nope.

That's why I suggested a general systems vendor. A nice cheap
frontend box tends to have the same characteristics as a low
profile PC and could be sold to that market. So, those that
might be interested in accomodating us don't necessarily have
to depend on us to make the product successful.

> if I never use it for anything other than as a frontend.
>
> A non-dedicated design would make it potentially attractive for
> non-MythTV users who are looking for similar things. An example is
> someone who never records anything, has ripped his 1000-DVD
> collection, and is content watching them all via mplayer.

Sure. It would also probably be a lot easier to deal with.

A "dedicated" solution would probably be as annoying to deal
with when you wanted to alter it as an AppleTV is.