[mythtv-users] Does multirec actually work ?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Thu Feb 5 19:42:40 UTC 2009

Op donderdag 05-02-2009 om 18:38 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Mike
Perkins:
> Simon Hobson wrote:

> >> Freeview in the UK uses 6 multiplexes, all of which are accessable to
> >> the same tuner. No need to switch tuners to get another multiplex,
> >> usually.
> >>
> >> However, I don't run multirec, so I don't know if that's introduced
> >> different behaviour.
> >
> > You miss the point, once a tuner is in use for a recording (which was
> > the key bit mentioned by the OP), then you cannot switch multiplex. So
> > using that tuner, the only channels you can watch are those on the same
> > multiplex as the channel(s) being recorded.
> >
> No, you didn't see what I wrote. If I use a tuner for LiveTV, then later that
> tuner gets used for a recording, the next time I want LiveTV, I get assigned a
> different tuner, because the original is busy.
>
> As I said, I don't do multirec. It's possible that in that case, you get
> assigned to another virtual tuner on the same card, and then of course you are
> going to get locked into the same multiplex.  Devs: is this by design? Why not
> choose a different card as before? Or is it not possible to tell the difference,
> when you are using multirec?

I've asked a lot of questions about multirec & livetv, too.
The code just isn't there. It really is just a missing functionality
(The devs don't want us to make a bug report out of it, since there
technically is nothing wrong with the code.)

Currently, LiveTV does not know what multirec is.
Every encoder (unless grouped in an input group, but that's another
beast) is independent in its eyes.

So, in stead of looking at it on the encoder level, LiveTV should check
the capture card first.

Is this channel available on this card? Yes or no?
If so, can we change to the multiplex of our channel (or is the card
already on this multiplex?)

Greetings,
Jelle De Loecker