[mythtv-users] Can Myth 'tune' these 'free' converter boxes?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 19:10:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   Comcast is giving me 3 of these 'free', low-end digital converter
>> boxes. Instead of using them on TVs I was wondering whether Myth can
>> tune them and I'll used them as a digital frontend to my PVR-150's. Is
>> this possible?
>>
>>   These boxes have no USB or 1394 interfaces. There is an IR
>> connector for attaching a remote IR receiver if that helps. If you
>> need more info let me know but there isn't much more to these small
>> boxes.
>>
>>   Comcast service techs told me that while there will be analog on
>> the cable after the switch to digital, it will only be channels 2-34.
>> I need to be able to record higher than 34. I was hoping to do it
>> without buying or renting new STBs if possible.
>
> I'll be in the exact situation, I think we live in the same area. How
> did you et the boxes? Did they contact you, or did you contact them?

In my case I was having Internet dropout problems. These problems have
been consistent here in Los Gatos. (Where are you?) They came out and
rewired the coax network to try to fix that.

In the process of having them here for that I took the opportunity to
just chat with them. They told me about the 'nothing above channel 34'
issue and that Comcast was supplying up to 3 cheap boxes free of
charge.

I also asked if I could pick up the boxes at the office here in town
and the guy wasn't sure. HE thinks the company may require they be
install to cut down on costs. I had him install one in the bedroom
figuring I could then remove it from the TV and start playing with it.
The one I got was a Pace:

http://www.pace.com/americas/home/index.asp

I don't see the model on the website. It's really, really low end but
it does work.

> If you don't use them for a front end, I guess the only way to use
> them to record for myth is to use a IR Blaster to change channels. Is
> that a plan of yours?

I don't know about the IR Blaster. What is it? If it's some IR
transmitter that Myth can control, and if Myth can control multiple IR
Blasters, then I suppose I could paste an IR Blaster over the IR input
of the converter and maybe that would work. Doesn't sound all that
reliable and certainly would be ugly.

Better in my mind would be a cable going directly from my backend to
the IR input port on the back of the converter. No actual IR but
sending the same data over a serial or analog cable. Is that possible?

It's good that we're getting a few more months to figure this out I suppose.

One of my plans was just to rent a couple more STBs if I could find
models that could be controlled by Myth. I've not studied this AT ALL!

- Mark