[mythtv-users] nuvexport and h264 encoding causes BE shutdown

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 18:20:53 UTC 2009

> Check /var/log/messages and see what it says right before the machine powers
> off.
> It sounds like a hardware problem - memory corruption or something
> overheating.
>
> -Brad

I forgot to mention that I did check /var/log/messages, and there is
nothing unusual in it just before the power off.  Also, I attempted
this twice (once last Friday and once yesterday Wednesday); and the
only time my BE has ever shutdown like this was when generating the
h264.  Otherwise, it's been a rock-solid box since I put it together
in September 2008.

I think it's unlikely to be a memory corruption issue.  However, I
also suspect overheating.  My guess is that /var/log/messages would
not indicate anything on overheat; because it's probably the
motherboard that's forcing an emergency.  Does that sound right?

My temperature sensors don't seem to give accurate readings with this
motherboard/chipset (Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H); so the readings from
lm-sensors aren't very useful.  Unless there's been some update I
don't know about.  For example, currently they are reading:

k8temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Core0 Temp:
             +12°C