[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 5 16:03:40 UTC 2009

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM, David Schmidt
> <david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or, perhaps not:
>>
>> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TEC_DIGITAL_TV_TRANSITION?SITE=WHIZ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
>
> Or, perhaps yes:
> http://www.reuters.com/article/americasRegulatoryNews/idUSN0431416620090204

Apparently the first try failed for procedural reasons, so they tried
again (Shades of the EU forcing re-votes on the 'Treaty' question)..

 From a link to WBIR TV in Knoxville:

quote

Congress has now decided to give people four more months to prepare for
the upcoming transition from analog to digital TV broadcasting.

The House voted Wednesday to postpone the end of analog TV signals until
June 12. The move is meant to address concerns that more than 6.5
million Americans with older TVs would not be ready by Feb. 17, the
originally mandated deadline.

The House took up the question last week but under a special procedure
that required more than a simple majority. This time it went through a
normal vote.

The Senate passed the measure unanimously last week and the bill now
heads to President Barack Obama for his signature. Obama's spokesman has
said the president will sign it.