[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Feb 5 03:51:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Matt Nelson <matt at frozenatom.com> wrote:
> For me I refuse to go back to using anything less than DVI/HDMI.  It looks
> like the MVPMC only supports composit or S-Video.

No, that's not exactly correct.

MVPMC is software.  It can run on the MVP, which only supports
composite/S-Video, but the same software is being ported to other
hardware as well, such as the Popcorn Hour, which has HD output
capabilities.  (I'm not sure how far along this port is.  I don't have
that hardware and haven't been following the development very
closely.)

Basically, mvpmc is a customized linux distribution and frontend app
designed for low CPU/low RAM diskless clients with hardware assisted
video playback.

Even if you want to build your own STB, I'd still recommend mvpmc as
at least the starting point for the software.

Eric