[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 23:57:01 UTC 2009

> Am i the only one who really wants this?
>

> --
> Mitchell

Of course you're not the only one who *wants* it, but there are
realities to consider-- Travis touched on a part of this.  *Someone*
would need to foot the bill for the design and manufacture of a fixed
number of these to begin.  I'll give the idea the benefit of the doubt
and say we could find the EE and ME from within the Myth community.
But then you'd need to get specs for the chips used in these devices,
and consent to open source the interface with them.  And *that* is
likely where this idea would fall apart, huge startup cost aside.
Sage can do this easily because they are closed source and a paid
product.  Myth is neither.

Robert