[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Feb 4 23:51:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Apple TV is far from ideal, it requires a hackish job that only
> handles MPEG2 what I really mean is a box like the Sage Extender but
> exclusively for Myth.
>
> http://www.sagetv.com/hd_theater.html

I expect that box is probably the same chipset that powers the PopcornHour
with some special software for the UI. So it probably has all the same ups
and downs as the PH. It's a good chipset, but can we even get the chips
without 10K quantities? I think you're understating the costs involved to
roll our own hardware.

Now, if we could get the dev tools for the software side and write a Myth
Frontend for the PH and similiar, that would be something. uPNP is good, but
a full FE is what most people want, I expect.