[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 4 23:10:21 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 16:05:53 Mitch Gore wrote:
> So,
>
> Software developers, hardware engineers, etc...
>
> With all the hype of VDPAU, Cheap frontends etc it got me wondering.  Why
> cant someone with the know how build some STB/Media Extended for MythTV?
> Hardware wise it should be completely feasible.  Just developing the
> software to run on the client.  and getting some established
> distributor/online store to sell and ship them.
>
> Ideally we would want the core dev's to support the box so new features
> added to Myth are compadible with the Extender.  I am sure 80% or more of
> myth users would totally buy a $199 box to replace that large PC or extend
> myth to thier next room etc.
>
> Is there something im missing?   After all Myth Dev's and others pulled
> together to build Schedules Direct so why cant we do this?

You *are* missing something. You won't be able to decrypt encrypted channels,
unless perhaps somebody were to some up with a Linux/CableCard solution,
which is unlikely.

It would be hard to sell something that would only receive off-airs and
perhaps some other clear channels (home shopping, CSPAN etc.).

$200 frontends are possible, a lot of people are doing it with AppleTV. The
situation can only get better.

--
beww
beww at beww.org