[mythtv-users] Audio Capture Problems, IR Blaster

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Wed Feb 4 01:19:48 UTC 2009

Hi, everyone,
I'm trying to get my first MythBox set up and am having some issues capturing audio correctly and getting my IR Blaster to work.  I have a Hauppauge WinTV Go Plus card, which translates to a bt878 chipset.  It has a TV Tuner input, a Composite Input and audio In and Out jacks, as well as the "three-headed" IR connector.  I'm having a couple of issues:
- First, audio capture does not work correctly, either when watching live TV or when recording.  I'm using the snd-bt87x ALSA module to use the on-board capture device.  After loading the module, the audio board does show up in /sys/class/sound and /proc/asound, and the devices are created in /dev.  I can control the mixer via alsamixer (alsamixer -c 1), both with the root account and with the "myth" account - the one I'm using to run MythTV.  Permissions appear to be set correct - seems that the system is using ACLs and has added the "myth" user to the ACL for the /dev/dsp1 device, which corresponds to the audio device on the Hauppauge card.  However, when I try to view live TV or try to record and then watch something, I get no audio.  Instead, I get the following message every 10 seconds in my mythbackend.log file:
NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Only read -1 bytes of 4096 bytes from '/dev/dsp1'
I've tried adjusting the sampling rate, changing the audio codec to both MP3 and Uncompressed, but none of these seem to fix the issue.  Any ideas, anyone?
- Second, the card has a built-in IR Blaster and IR receiver.  The module that's supposed to work for this card is the lirc_i2c module.  When I load the module, the lirc_dev module auto-loads, then the lirc_i2c tries to load, loads enough to recognize the card, but then segfaults and exits.  This may be more a question for the lirc list, but I figured since it's an IR system integrated with a TV card, maybe someone will have some ideas.

My system is a P4/2.0 with 1GB of RAM.  I'm running OpenSuSE 10.3, kernel 2.6.22.19-(some build number), and MythTV 0.21 (from the Packman repo).  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Nick

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.