[mythtv-users] Plagued by DVI screen blanking.

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 00:18:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Jason Sullivan <jason0x21 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
>> Jason Sullivan wrote:
>>>
>>> I've recently switched from S-Video to DVI output for HD awesomeness,
>>> and have had no end of perplexing problems with screen blanking.
>>> Every time I think I've got it licked, it goes dark again and I let
>>> loose a litany of profanity.  What's worse is that the remote has been
>>> acting up ever since I did this, too.
>>
>> When I was trying turn off screen blanking in Mythbuntu I changed the
>> thinkgs you did but found I had to add a ~/.xsessionrc file containing:
>>
>> xset s noblank
>> xset s off
>> xset -dpms
>
> I've done that by hand post-login, but that's after Mythfrontend has
> started up.  I'll try this out.  Thanks!

So, I tried Allen's xorg.conf file, but I didn't see anything that was
different from what I was doing, and I created an .xsessionrc that
seems to do the right thing.  However, I'm STILL having DVI blanking
problems.

What I've noticed is that switching desktops brings it back, and
sometimes it comes back all on its own.  So, here's my theory: Could
it be a synchronization problem?  When I had the totally wrong setup,
I got the same effect (screen blank with no picture).  Since the time
before blanking is variable, I'm thinking this is the problem.

But I can't seem to find a spot in the Xorg log file that says "I'm
clocking horizontal and vertical at these speeds".  So, any (more)
clues out there?

Thanks.
--
Jason Sullivan