[mythtv-users] Newegg has SiliconDust HDHomerun for $140, again

William william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 22:57:17 UTC 2009

David Durham wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16815327005
>> Coupon code: EMCLNLP65
>>
>> You may have to be a Newegg newsletter subscriber for the code to work.
>>

> So, I've got Basic Comcast digital cable in Chicago.  This thing
> should work for most of the channels right?  Is setup basically going
> to be plugin the coax from the wall into this thing, and scan for
> channels?

You may or may not get any/all of your channels in the clear. One that
is fairly certain is that when you scan cable channels most will not
have any identifiers. Of the 50+ channels I get in the clear, only 4 had
identifiers and those were for the actual station's channel OTA, not for
the cable channel. AFAIK the only solution is to manually tune each
channel, watch it until you figure out what channel it is and then
manually edit the info in the channel editor. Make sure that the station
identifier matches exactly the channel name at schedules direct so you
get the right programming info. Royal pain the rear that has to be
redone once in a while when they change channels around.

Once set up, it works great.