[mythtv-users] Analog firewire recordings end early due to 25% fewer frames

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 20:36:19 UTC 2009

> My theory is that missing 25% of all frames in the signal
> is causing
> something within mythbackend's FireWire recorder to
> time out
> sometimes, without mythbackend overall noticing.
>
> My questions:
>
> * Is this theory a reasonable one?
> * If so, where should I look within the code and what
> should I look
>   for?
> * Should I file a ticket? The issue began under 0.20-fixes
> and has
>   continued through 0.21-fixes. I read -dev and -commits
> and have not
>   seen anything since 0.21 shipped akin to this problem.

Hi, not sure if others answered your issue.  I'm assuming that by 'analog' that you mean the analog channels under 100, and that you're not capturing through the a/v ports of the dct unit.  Do you have all your dct6200's up and running at once?  And if so, do they all have the same degraded quality?  Visible through Mythtv only, or also through a normal tv set?

I've learned that over time, coax connections in a house can degrade, so I'd have someone from your cable company come out and test the signal.  I did this, and they replaced a few connections and splitters free of charge.  Though if your cable company is voluntarily cutting framerates out of your analog channels, I suppose all you can do is file a complaint.  It's possible that a low signal from these channels could be destabilizing your firewire connection.  Do you have to re-prime it afterwards?

Sam