[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

james meyer james.meyer at operamail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:21:23 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009, jedi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 02:13:54PM -0600, james meyer wrote:
> > system
> > >
> > > I've thought about this before. Programmers at hardware makers have told
> > > me they could probably spend more time on Linux if they could show their
> > > bosses some solid numbers for the number of folks using Linux with their
> > > hardware. This would need to be broached with the other developers and
> > > in here and I would need to find the time to actually write the code for
> > > it. I'll follow this thread and see what people's opinions are.
> > >
> > > The important points from a user perspective is that it would be opt-in,
> > > only aggregate data would be reported, and the callback server would be
> > > under a server under *.mythtv.org, so it would ultimately be under
> > > Isaac's control. PS I would get user approval immediately before a
> > > "phone home", otherwise someone might forget that they opted in and
> > > get needlessly upset.
> > >
> > > -- Daniel
> > Perhaps something like http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/  would fit the bill?
> > There is already a myth plugin  that can submit smolt data.   For the
client
> > the 3 main requirments are python,hal and dbus.
> >
> > Setting up a smoon server is pretty straight forward, in fact there is one
> > already setup collecting data for knoppmyth.
>
>     This looks pretty cool. Although it doesn't seem to categorize hardware
> at all. Although I might just be missing someting. Being able to do a "Top
> of the Pops" for all capture devices or all video cards would be the most
> useful application of smolt I think.
>
>     With what's there on the fedora page, just searching on PVR is cool
enough.
> Although I am not sure what to make of the "?" rating category. That sounds
> like something that's not been rated but has a label that's less neutral
than
> that.
It does categorize hardware under the devices link.
Smolt gives the user the ability to create wiki pages for individual devices
and will also send errata information to users if the hardware they submit
matches an exisiting information.
Being able to share complete hardware information by sharing a single uuid is
also a good thing.