[mythtv-users] frontend error messages prebuffer wait timed out

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 23:39:17 UTC 2009

> First, when installing from source, there's no supported way to install
> just the frontend or just the backend, so from that perspective, both.
>  Generally, though, if you replace the packages, replace the whole set of
> packages--mythtv (mythfrontend/mythbackend/mythtv-setup), mythplugins
> (including MythWeb), myththemes, themes.

Hi Mike,

I have separate frontend and backend systems. The question was more related
to if I rebuild the frontend with patches, should I also rebuild the backend
box to match or am I ok sticking with the mythbuntu install that I have?

> Your best bet when switching from packages to source install is to
> uninstall all the mythtv-related packages completely and then install from
> source.  Going from a source install back to packages is /much/ more
> difficult, though.  So, switching from packages to source may result in a
> /lot/ of work for you over time (and, for what?  LiveTV?).

LiveTV is a habbit learned over many years... To be honest, most TV we sit
down to watch is downloaded but the news and kids shows tend to be live.

My re-install last night failed... mythbuntu was unable to install the grub
boot loader onto the 8GB sandisk usb stick I bought yesterday. The stick was
too wide anyway and did not allow me to install it next to the bluetooth
dongle for my keyboard (internal dual port USB cable). I am going to buy
another Imation Nano Flash Drive today as I know they work fine.

Cheers

Phil