[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:23:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Jacob Steenhagen <jacob at steenhagen.us>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, my local cable company is telling people that "The FCC is requiring
>> us
>> to go all digital", which is not true at all. They are trying to make
>> everyone pay for a STB and blame it on the government.
>>

> You'd think they could get sued for false advertising or making a false
> statement or something like that.  At the very least, a bunch of people
> should write to the local news papers and make sure people are informed
> (people still read those, right??).

The outgoing FCC chairman started an investigation and was taking complaints
regarding this practice and others like it. He was considering heavy fines
for cable companies that are using the digital switch over to manipulate
their customers like this or by removing channels from their analog tiers.
Hopefully the incoming administration will continue the investigation.