[mythtv-users] Disk Power Control

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Feb 2 19:48:30 UTC 2009

>Ian Bonham wrote:
>> reducing my power usage. I have seen a €20 multigang socket which
>> supports power filtering, and strike protection for phone/antenna.
>> However the feature I really like is the mains sockets can be USB
>> controlled. 1 socket stays live 24/7, and the other 7 can be
>switched
>> on/off via USB.

I spent about $20 and got a couple of X10 modules. I then configured my
remote control to power the disks on via the power button and run a quick
mounting script (xfce won't auto mount them all the time for some reason).
They then shut off in the middle of the night each night (if left on) via a
cron script that unmounts them and then powers them off. The only thing I
have on the disks are dvd rips and backups, so we only really use them when
watching videos or when I do major backups. Works great for us.

I can point you in the right direction if you want to go that route

-Steve