[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 2 18:14:30 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 11:00:25 Marvin Match wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2009 at 13:50, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> > All the other cards have fan, MSI have some that they claimed is
> > silent even with a fan, and they support HDMI with sound
> > pass-through..
> Silent is only part of the problem. The real rub is the fact card
> (and motherboard) manufacturers choose the cheapest fans they can
> find and those fans will fail after a few months.

Agreed totally. Good ball bearing fans are available, and the extra few
dollars wouldn't mean much to most buyers, but I guess if you are making a
million machines a $1 savings becomes significant.

If you must get a mobo or graphics card with a fan, replacing it with a decent
one before putting it into service will save a lot of future headaches.

Some passively-cooled cards create problems by interfering with the adjacent
slot, so often a fan-cooled one is the only solution. Passive cooling also
assumes sufficient room and airflow around and across the heatsink, which is
often not available.

beww at beww.org