[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Feb 2 09:14:44 UTC 2009

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> says:
>> Strangely enough, I'm running a 8400gs in my production system with
>> vdpau.  Works just fine - it can't do the nicest deinterlacers with
>> 1080i sources, but it does bob2x (which looks *much* nicer than the
>> software bob2x with Xv) perfectly well at 1080i, and all the
>> deinterlacers work at lower source resolutions.
>
> Exact same experience with my 8400GS and 180.22, except that so far I
> prefer Xv software bob to VDPAU's, contrary to your and Jean-Yves'
> accounts. The former offers, as has been my experience for the past
> three years, rock-solid video during pans; the latter often tears
> and/or leaves ghost images. I wonder what I'm overlooking?

I don't know how people live with bobdeint. I guess with 1080i the
resolution is so high that halving it in the vertical isn't a
disaster, but how do you stand watching SD at half the vertical res?
Are the vast majority of your programs HD now. In the UK, there's
still a lot of SD-only programs. My big hope for VDPAU is in giving
high quality deinterlacing.