[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area -goodbye analog

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 07:40:47 UTC 2009

>>>>> Jason  writes:
[...]
j> The question is whether all the QAM channels will be encrypted or
j> not. Local must carry channels will have to be unencrypted, but that's
j> not necessarily all of the broadcast stations in the area (I seem to
j> recall that ABC and Fox might have waived must-carry status - could be
j> wrong, tho).  A lot of the existing channels broadcast in analog are
j> already in clear QAM, so I'd be a bit surprised if they suddenly
j> started encrypting them.  (Only a bit, though.)

        According to knowledgeable people on the Comcast Bay Area
thread on AVS Forum, the free converter boxes can't do Cablecard so
the previously-analog channels must be in clear QAM.  Here in Santa
Clara, most (all?) of the expanded basic channels became unencrypted a
few weeks ago.  They might still move them around, though.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com