[mythtv-users] Must make recent myth trunk with "-j 1"

James Purl convbox at jamespurl.com
Mon Feb 2 04:32:24 UTC 2009

Good evening/night.

I am sending this to -users first as a "any one else getting this" and not
troubling the devs (as I don't have all the exact error message).  I custom
compile myth SVN trunk using some home-grown debian packaging (ie the "debian"
directory) for mythbuntu. I do all the package creation on a Core i7 system.
I have done probably 8-10 weekly-ish builds of myth svn, but sometime between
r19816 and r19900, something in  the Myth source causes the build to fail if I
use "too many" CPUs.  My build process uses the "-j" option with the make
command, and this used to work (and fly) on the i7.  As of some version > 19816
and <=19900, something in the libavcodec area causes the parallel build to
fail.  I was wondering if anyone more in the know might know what changes I
would need to make to my source to enable parallel builds?  I've since just
changed my process to do the make with "-j 1" in the meantime, which works fine
(albeit much slower).

I apologize in advance for lack of information (exact error message, etc.),
but I put this out there in case it is a lightbulb moment for someone... Next
time I do a build I'll try to get the exact point that compilation stops.  Oh
yeah, if I just issue another make after it stops, compilation completes, so I
presume its a matter of needing a makefile dependency so that filex.so or filex.a
exists before it is needed by source filey.cpp.

Thanks
James