[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:11:35 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/2/2 Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>:
> This thread points out that I have been watching HD without a
> de-interlacer and had not really noticed.  I will turn that on and I

I'm surprised you couldn't see the difference. Are you watching
interlaced content for a start?
I can spot a video not deinterlaced instantly... like this one:
http://www.100fps.com/distortion2.jpg

obviously, when the picture is in motion it's less noticeable, but still

> am sure everyone will be impressed with the improvement.  Kind of
> silly of me but the picture is so good I had not noticed.
>
> I will try vdpau after it is stable which is why I just bought the
> 8400GS.  I was just a little disappointed to hear it won't work but
> from seeing all the comments, I will reserve that judgment until .22
> as well.

the 8400gs can do de-interlacing ; just not Advanced or Temporal on HD content.
Bob 2X works well on those, and the quality is really good too..

With bob you have a slight scintillating effect, but that's still
better than the best software deinterlacer available in myth IMO.

Jean-Yves