[mythtv-users] Dual or Single core Athlon64 for MythTV front-end machine

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 17:44:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
> David Rees wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:20 PM, George Mari
>> <george_mythusers at mari1938.org> wrote:
>>> As I understand it, myth does not directly take advantage of multiple cores
>>> - yet.  I believe this is an evolving feature.
>>
>> While MythTV itself may not take advantage of multiple CPU cores, that
>> doesn't mean that your system isn't doing multiple things at the same
>> time.
>>
>> For example, when playing video on a frontend (ignoring VDPAU), there
>> are typically two large CPU using processes - mythfrontend and the X
>> server.
>>
>> By having two CPU cores available, the Linux kernel will try to keep
>> each process running on the same core.  This improves performance and
>> latency as well as now you don't have two processes fighting for CPU
>> cache of the same processor.
>>
>> And in the specific case where the original poster is trying looking
>> at the single core LE-1640 at 2.6GHz or the dual BE-2350 at 1.9GHz, I
>> would choose the dual core 9 times out of 10.  However, in this case,
>> I would suggest the dual core 4850e at 2.5GHz.  You'll basically have
>> double the CPU power of the LE-1640 for less than $20 more.  Seems
>> like a no brainer to me!
>>
> The order went in this morning.
>
> I did wind up getting a dual-core 2.6GHz for about $20 more.  As someone
> else mentioned, the difference between 45W and 65W TDP will not be
> significant when running some form of cpufreq modulation, and the
> headroom will be there when it's needed.
>
> I also ended up getting a lesser 8400GS card, because I needed low
> profile AND s-video.  There were several cards that met those
> requirements, but only the Jaton PX8400GS EX did that AND had all the
> little adapters, cables, dongles, etc necessary.  The 9-pin s-video
> connector is only semi-standard, it seems that each card/chipset has its
> own tweak on how to convert that 9-pin into something standard.  It also
> seems that the aftermarket in those adapters is drying up.  The only way
> to KNOW I'd be able to get this all in the case and running was to pick
> a card that included all of the parts.  Otherwise it might take a few
> weeks/months shopping eBay, etc.
>
> That also means that whenever I do get an HDTV, I may need to get a new
> graphics card.  It depends, because today most HDTVs have HDMI and
> DVI/DSUB, but there are a few HDTVs that only have HDMI inputs.  If in a
> few years I can find an HDTV that has DVI/DSUB, I'll hopefully have the
> extra CPU power with the dual-core 2.6GHz to handle the fact that the
> card is only VP2, not VP3.  If by that time, there are only HDMI inputs,
> it's not that expensive a card to replace, and I can probably food-chain
> it to another computer.
>
> Dale Pontius

As long as your TV has spdif audio input you will be fine.  You can
get a DVI to HDMI cable for under $10
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2661&seq=1&format=2

I use a 6200 with a DVI output to drive my HDMI projector without a problem.

I much prefer a DVI output without HDCP over a HDMI output.  If my
projector isn't powered up when my HDMI DVD player is turned on, it
refuses to work.  Such a pain. Now if the TV refuses to work with a
computer that would be another story.  I hate copy protection.

Allen