[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 31 21:02:17 UTC 2009

    > Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:18:05 -0600
    > From: David Engel <david at istwok.net>

    > On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 09:45:48AM -0800, Paul Bender wrote:
    > > On 12/31/2009 9:08 AM, David Engel wrote:
    > > >Sidenote: that TiVo I started with is now 9.5 years old and still
    > > >going strong in daily use by my Mom.
    > >
    > > I am surprised that it has continued for so long. When one of the

    > So am I!  To be completely transparent, it *is* on it's third (maybe
    > even fourth) add-on drive.  The original 30DB drive is still working,
    > though.  The biggest surprise is that the modem still works.  As I
    > recall, the modem was the most common component to fail on series 1
    > boxes and usually did in less than 3 years.

I have a Series 1 (won during an essay contest in an initial promotion
of the entire concept, back in the late 90's sometime) whose modem
never failed.  Maybe 2-3? years ago I -finally- configured the TivoNet
card that had been sitting in it for years to use my Ethernet for
listings data, since I was planning to drop my last analog line.  Its
original disk never failed.  It was replaced fairly early on with
Maxtors which failed 6? 7? times across two disks (virtually -always-
the A drive, e.g. the one that always had constant head motion because
of Tivo's constant circular buffer and because the entire system & DB
is also on the A drive) in maybe 2.5-3 years.  (Memory fails, thank
god.)  I threw away my investment in those (RMA'ing 2 drives 6 times
is ridiculous) and replaced them with Seagates, which have never
failed. (*)  At least none of the Maxtor failures actually lost
data---every time, I was able to dd the data to a replacement drive;
only once (I think) did the Tivo even go into its green-screen-of-fsck
to fix things up.  [I might have lost a few seconds of a recording or

Unfortunately, it lost all of its analog sources when analog
broadcasting died and when analog on the cable died.  So now it's
still sitting there, still with some recordings I should do something
with, but no way to get new content, since I don't feel like going
through the annoyance of buying & configuring some new hardware when
Myth's doing everything else.

(*) So basically nothing in it has -ever- failed, except for the
Maxtor replacement drives I put in it to increase its capacity, and
which caused me to write off Maxtor forever.  (That, and a -desktop-
which had been sitting virtually unusued for 6? months and had a
brand-new Maxtor in it that -also- die due to click-of-death.)  Pity
that Seagate acquired Maxtor and that some of their recent drives
acquired the same bad-repution-inducing behavior, too.  Alas.

Sturdy little box.