[mythtv-users] Card sharing

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 01:23:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please read the link.
>
> "Discussion of any topics that may be considered illegal or
> questionably legal in any of the areas that MythTV developers and/or
> users reside (especially the United States as the mailing lists are
> hosted in the United States) is prohibited.
<snip>
> Important thing to note is that it *doesn't matter* if it's legal
> where you are, it's that it's illegal where the MythTV devs, who
> absorb liability for the actions of this project, reside.
>
> You don't have to like it, but the least you can do when you are
> getting the software for free and not paying project legal bills is
> respect the rules.

Actually the rules state if it is illegal where any user resides not
to discuss it either, so I guess we shut the whole thing down.  I
understand the purpose of the rules, but its implementation is a bit
draconian.  Basically anything the devs aren't interested themselves
in doing and could be questionable somewhere isn't allowed.  We
discuss playing back DVDs even though there are countries where
playing back dvds in linux may be on questionable legal ground, or
what about making disk images of DVDs, the MPAA sure doesn't like
that, or ripping CDs, it is possible someone in some country that uses
myth could be charged with a crime.

The rules also state that "Discussion of copying and/or distributing
video obtained via MythTV recording" is not allowed.  Which of course
is quite vague, is discussion of doing offsite or onsite backups
allowed?  What about streaming it using mythweb, or downloading it via
mythweb?  Is it only ok cause a dev finds it useful?  I'm sure that is
illegal to do somewhere.

I know the point of these rules is to protect the project and the
devs, but it seems the rules are only applied to things the devs
aren't themselves interested in, otherwise watch programming via
mythweb, mythdvd, and other features wouldn't be open for discussion
either.