[mythtv-users] FC12 x86_64 OK for MythTV?

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Wed Dec 30 15:46:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 8:41 AM, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:

>  Apparently my processor (Core 2 Duo E8400) can be used with either the
> i386 or x86_64 version of FC12.
>
> I was going to go with the x86_64 version, but I thought I’d better check
> with you all first that this is not bad from a MythTV point of view.  I
> can’t imagine why it would matter, but I’ve learned that you never know with
> these things :-)
>
> Is it OK or should I use the i386 version?
>
> Thanks….
>
> Steve

Steve,

  You'll be fine with x86_64 -- I've been using the 64-bit versions of
Fedora since FC8.  (One Backend, 3 frontends)

  IIRC, the only thing that's "sensitive" to running in one CPU only is the
Channel Scanner, which can be resolved by starting mythtv-setup with
'taskset' to force it to run in the first cpu/core.  (Although this may not
be an issue any more with 0.22?  I dunno...)  ;-)

Jeff