[mythtv-users] DVD ISOs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 30 01:49:47 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 06:40:09 pm Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> Johnny wrote:
> > I do know some of things they do involve created a complex maze of VOB
> > files and fake titles etc., such that during regular playback the bad
> > sectors on the disc are avoided, but attempts to rip the disc will
> > fail.
>
> Seems like it would be easy enough to make a ripper that played the DVD,
> took note of which sectors were accessed in which order, then went back
> and read only those sectors.  Well, easy enough for relative amounts of
> "easy" anyway, it certainly isn't within my powers.

I think Handbrake does something like that, it "plays" the disk, obeying the
disk's instructions on what sectors to go to, then transcodes as it plays. I
think it uses VLC to play the disk.

Certainly an "access list" such as you describe should work.

But this thread is getting dangerous, at least in the Land of the Free. The
DMCA precludes even discussion of methods to circumvent any protection scheme,
no matter how lame it might be.