[mythtv-users] epia m10000 and xvmc out of the box?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Dec 30 00:11:36 UTC 2009

Nick Rout wrote:
> I am trying to help out a local beginner (at mythtv, not new to linux).
>
> He has a epia m10000 with a pvr150. He wants to ensure xvmc is going to work.
>
> Which out of the box distros with up to date mythtv (ie 0.22-fixes)
> can I introduce him to to make sure all this works smoothly. I see
> many posts about xvmc just not working on this chipset in recent
> distros/kernels.
>
> Any tips before we waste a few hours/days?

This is the last xorg.conf which I bothered to save prior to moving to
an HD capable screen, and an HD capable motherboard, so this is standard
def output to a TV using S-Video. The Via boards require setting, in the
BIOS for output to a CRT and/or through the TV output (S-video), as well
as in xorg.conf. The openchrome driver is the default driver for Via
boards in Fedora and should be available in other distros. It handles
xvmc quite well. It can actually do HD mpeg decode but only to a
1024x1024 sized frame with the correct chipset (CLE266 etc). ISTR that
the M10000 is a little below the SP13000 which I had, but it should do
standard def tv without straining itself. XvMC configuration is picky
but well described in the docs at openchrome.org and on the mythtv wiki.
There are some settings caveats but it is doable.

Geoff

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier              "Layout0"
         Screen                  0       "ScreenTV" 0 0
         InputDevice             "Mouse0"                "CorePointer"
         InputDevice             "Keyboard0"             "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
         FontPath                "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
         FontPath                "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
         FontPath                "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
         FontPath                "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
         FontPath                "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
         Load                    "record"
         Load                    "extmod"
         Load                    "dbe"
         Load                    "freetype"
         Load                    "type1"
         Load                    "glx"
         Load                    "dri"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
         Option                  "Composite"             "Enable"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier              "Keyboard0"
         Driver                  "kbd"
	Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier              "Mouse0"
         Driver                  "mouse"
         Option                  "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
         Option                  "Device"              "/dev/misc/psaux"
         Option                  "Buttons"               "5"
         Option                  "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier              "MonitorTV"
         DisplaySize             400 300
         HorizSync 30-67
         VertRefresh 30-75
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier              "CardTV"
         Driver                  "openchrome"
         VendorName              "VIA"
         BoardName               "CLE266/CN400"
         BusID                   "PCI:1:0:0"
         Option                  "ActiveDevice"  "TV,CRT"
         Option                  "TVType"                "NTSC"
         Option                  "TVOutput"              "S-Video"
#       Option                  "EnableAGPDMA"  "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier              "ScreenTV"
         Device                  "CardTV"
         Monitor                 "MonitorTV"
         DefaultDepth    24
         SubSection "Display"
                 Viewport        0       0
#               Depth           24
                 Depth           16
#               Modes           "1024x768"
#               Modes           "720x480"
#               Modes           "800x600"
                 Modes           "720x480Under"
#               Modes           "720x480Over"
#               Modes           "720x480Fit"
#               Modes           "640x480"
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
         Group                   "video"