[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Dec 29 22:41:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 17:30 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> That said, if my system

Which system?  FE or BE?

> is in New York City, I *should* set the time
> zone to America/New_York (and not EST or EST5EDT or America/Indianapolis
> or ...)--otherwise, the local time reported by my system will not be
> correct.  Therefore, if I fail to set the time zone correctly on my
> system, my system is misconfigured.

What if my BE is in New York and properly configured and my FE is in
Seattle and properly configured?  Does Mythtv consider that incorrectly
configured?

Don't discount it.  I used to work for a telco that (more than 7 years
ago, and the time reference is just to speculate that it's probably an
order of magnitude or more greater now) used to sell 10Mb/s "ethernet"
across the province (hundreds if not a thousand or more KM, so the idea
of a few more hundred KMs into a different timezone are not outlandish).

b.