[mythtv-users] Migrating backend to a new machine
voidtrance at comcast.net
Tue Dec 29 18:50:13 UTC 2009
I am looking for advice on how to migrate my existing mythbackend to a
Currently, I have a machine which is both a backend and a frontend and
I want to migrate the backend part of it to a new more powerful
As of now, I am using 1 HDHR and 3 PVR250s in the current backend,
however, only 2 of the PVRs are being moved (the third is being
Both new and old backends are running the same software (Mythdora
10.21) with latest updates. Mythbackend is already installed on the new
machine, however, it doesn't look like the black database has already
As far as I have read, what I will need to do is the following (in that
1. Back up the database from the old backend with mythconverg_backup.pl
2. Shut down mythtv-backend and mythtv-frontend so nothing changes the
database while I am doing the move.
3. Move the PVRs to the new machine
4. Copy my entire video directory with the current Storage Group
5. Run mythtv-setup on the new machine and setup the tuners and Storage
Groups as they were on the old backend.
6. Restore the database from the latest backup using the
--partial_restore and --with_plugin_data options.
7. Change the hostname of the backend in the database using
mythconver_restore.pl --change_hostname --old_hostname=...
Will the above procedure work in getting me to a working duplicate of
the old backend? Is there anything that I am missing?
Thank you for your help
More information about the mythtv-users