[mythtv-users] New Myth setup - questions about storage.

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Tue Dec 29 18:05:58 UTC 2009

> I am rebuilding my mythbox to take advantage of 4 new 640GB drives that I
> now have.  I am planning on putting them together in a RAID5 array for
> recordings and to use as a file server for all the computers on my home
> network.

<snip>

> I am planning on putting the OS on a separate hard drive, and therein lie
> my questions.

<snip>

Like many others have said already, I also feel that using a RAID array for
recordings is not necessary.  I do, however, have my OS and Database on my
root disk, which is a Raid-1 mirrored 200GB SATA disks.

I use 6 SATA drives for video storage, sdc through sdh, 5 of which are
500GB, and one is 1TB.  (All were 500GB initially, but one got replaced with
a 1TB drive before it failed completely...)

I had initially setup this system with 6x500GB drives in a software Raid 5
configuration, but after a dual HDD failure and losing *every* recording a
year or so ago, I switched to Storage groups.  Granted, a dual HDD failure
*should* be rare, but at least if two drives were to fail now, I'd only lose
1/3 of my recordings instead of all of them.  (This is just TV after all!)

So I'd just Raid the OS and Database disk, and run individual disks for the
Video/Recordings disks.

Anyways, just my 2 cents...

J-e-f-f-A