[mythtv-users] time zone with distant frontend

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Tue Dec 29 17:45:29 UTC 2009

mythtv-free wrote:
> Hello,
> I got this message from my mythtv:
> "Time zone settings on the master backend differ from those on this system.
> 2009-12-29 18:23:15.291 Detected time zone settings:
>     Master: Zone ID: 'CET', UTC Offset: '3600', Current Time:
> '2009-12-29T18:23:15'
> '2009-12-29T18:23:15'
>
> 2009-12-29 18:23:15.291 The time and/or time zone settings on this
> system do not match those in use on the master backend. Please ensure
> all frontend and backend systems are configured to use the same time
> zone and have the current time properly set.
> 2009-12-29 18:23:15.292 Unable to run with invalid time settings. Exiting.
> "
> I think that this time checking is too sensitive! Is it new in 0.22 ?

I agree with you that it looks too "sensitive". In fact both time zones are the same, but different labels were used ("CET" and "Europe/Paris") to get to it. It would arguably be enough to check that the UTC offsets are the same.

Having said that, it may be the case that two time zone labels that currently result in the same UTC offset may not always do so; think different transitions to/from daylight savings time. Does not apply in this instance, but may do so in the general case.

Cheers, Jan