[mythtv-users] DVD ISOs

Jonathan Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Tue Dec 29 17:01:17 UTC 2009

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Travis Tabbal
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 8:37 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] DVD ISOs

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Charles Wright <cpwright at gmail.com<mailto:cpwright at gmail.com>> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:40 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org<mailto:jedi at mishnet.org>> wrote:
> ...then just rip the relevant titles and don't bother compressing them.
One of the nice things about an ISO rip is that it preserves all of
the menus, etc.  I don't think other tools would do that.

Personally, I despise most of the menus. I've switched to using makeMKV for testing and it's working very well. It's not OSS, and it's GUI based, though I think it has CLI options, but it works well. It even rips the various audio streams and subtitles into the MKV. If you want the menus, I agree, it's not what you want though. 99% of the time, I want to watch the movie, I rarely watch the features and such. I know other people like them more than I do though. You could rip them into separate files and just not have the menu I suppose.

When I was going to ISO, I used DVDDecrypter on Windows. Not ideal for a Myth user, but I have a Windows box sitting around on the network and all of my media comes from a server that's accessible via SMB as well.

DVDFab used to work just fine in WINE--haven't tried it recently since I have a Windows box for Netflix/DVD viewing...