[mythtv-users] IR for rebuild

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 28 21:57:28 UTC 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 3:51 PM, steve wrote:

> I am rebuilding my MythTV system.  The previous one had a Hauppauge cap card which crapped out (video out portion).  I want an IR receiver on my new system and I’m wondering if I can use this card for that purpose (it has built in IR) without using any of the other functions on it.

Yes, you can. But...

> If not, or if that’s a bad idea,

...I think its a bad idea. That's a lot of wasted power there, most capture cards aren't so hot on power savings.

> does anyone know where I can buy a receiver so I can use the handheld remote that came with the Hauppauge?  I checked the Wiki, but it suggests a homebrew receiver (I’ve got enough on my hands with the MythTV rebuild, thanks) or buying the Microsoft MCE remote.

Get an MCE kit. You can use just about any remote with the transceiver, including the Hauppauge ones (which, IMO, are pieces of crap, but to each their own).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com