[mythtv-users] still have db, playback, transcode, seektable ? problem

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 28 16:43:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 02:04:54AM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> 2009-12-27 12:03:51.117 Couldn't open input file, error #-1
>> 2009-12-27 11:46:13.289 Preview Error: Run() file not local:
>> '/export/mythtv/1021_20090928213100.mpg'
>
> This looks like broken storage group/directory configuration.

Thanks for the response! My feeling is that it doesn't have
anything to do with directory configuration simply because a few
recordings work, and yet all my recordings go into the same
place. I suspect there must be something different about these
recordings.

In addition to mythtranscode, I also ran mythcommflag with
verbosity cranked all the way up and it said something about
av_open_input_file failing. Again, it appeared as though there is
something wrong with the file or the directory, but I went in
and looked at the code.

The function appears to be searching the first megabyte for
something that will indicate the file type. My guess was that it
wasn't finding what it wanted (PMT ?) and gave up.

To explore this theory, I ran one of the files through mencoder
-oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video to hopefully
"clean it up", and see if mythtranscode or mythcommflag could
then understand it. Sure enough, mythcommflag ran perfectly
on the new file.

This isn't completely crazy. CBS is one of my weaker stations.
Perhaps there's too much garbage in the first megabyte of
these recordings for it to figure out the format. It also
explains why only some recordings failed to transcode.

So... assuming this is all reasonable, what's the next step ?
Should I file a bug to make an_open_input_file more tenacious ?
In the meantime, is there a way to run each recording
through a home-made script before commercial flagging ?

Thanks!