[mythtv-users] How to compile Myth

William M. Sorgenfrei w_m_sorg at msn.com
Sun Dec 27 17:30:23 UTC 2009

I used the how to doc.  Since I am not doing a configuration change I issued
a make install and got the following message:

make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.

> Hello all,
> I am taking another stab at getting mythtv going.  After a kernel upgrade
> have lost everything and starting from scratch.  This time around I want
> compile and build myself.
> The docs instruct me to issue the following to compile:
> Make ?j 2

Which docs are they?

> Obviously, this is not enough.  Is there a makefile somewhere what is the
> exact command I should issue to get things going?

The README file points you to the official documentation. Here the
compiling info:

MythTV is built in the standard Linux way, so a './configure; make;
make install' would work with default configure options.

Hope this helps,

Nick Morrott