[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend crashes with no error after upgrade.

Jeremy Young jeremyrainman at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 00:43:14 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I upgraded to .22 just this weekend, and was hit with a strange situation. I've been fighting it for a couple days now. When I initially upgraded, both the BE and FE complained of being unable to connect to the database, despite all my efforts to provide them with the proper login information. I discovered this:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Troubleshooting:Mythbackend_will_not_start_after_upgrade

and searched for multiple mysql.txt files, but found only one in my user/.mythtv directory. I think my issue was separate from that one. Despite this I upgraded mysql and recreated the mythtv user in mysql, this seems to have gotten at least the backend to run. It still seems quite touchy about connecting to the database though.

However, now the FE crashes with no explanation. It will go to the base color screen for the theme that is selected, and then it drops me to X immediately. I get about 1 second of mythfrontend running, and then nothing. I can't find anything in the FE logs that explains why this would be. Is there some other release note/issue that might be causing this? The front-end worked fine on Wednesday, and nothing except myth and mysql were upgraded. I can provide logs if necessary (but honestly I couldn't find anything in it that indicated trouble).

OS: Arch Linux 64. (gnome)

Thanks in advance!

----- Jeremy