[mythtv-users] FF h.264 files using Internal Player

Taylor Ralph tralph11 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 16:32:46 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 12/23/09, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] FF h.264 files using Internal Player
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 9:58 AM
> I've moved over to the internal player
> (was using mplayer) for playing h.264 files.  I like having
> the OSD.  When I fast forward through the file, it is not
> as smooth as with a recorded MPEG2 file (from HDHR for
> example).  Obviously, they are different file types, but I
> was hoping it would FF smoother.  Also, I get audio from
> the program that doesn't seem to FF at the same rate as
> the video FFs.  (It's strange that I never have audio
> playing from MPEG2 files while FFing using INTERNAL
> player)  So the audio is playing at normal speed but
> breaking up (not really skipping ahead) and the video is
> very choppy.  MPlayer was much smoother and simply jumped
> ahead the specified number of seconds I have configured.
> If that's the way it is, then I'm fine with that, I
> was just curious more than anything.  I'm running
> Mythbuntu x64 9.10, MythTV .22, nVidia 9500GT (512MB) PCIe
> 16x, w/ JYA's repo and latest nVidia
> drivers(195.something?).  MythTV is configured for the
> "Seperate Video Modes" @ 1920x1080.  Thanks!
>

> Jim

If you are willing to compile then you can try a patch that improves libavf seeking when using the Internal player.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7521

You'll also want to apply another patch to fix the video corruption problem when seeking in MKV containers.

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7454

If you do try this it'd be nice to here how your experience goes.

--
Taylor