[mythtv-users] PVR 150 Quality Issues

James Thorpe james at tfxsoft.com
Wed Dec 23 16:01:53 UTC 2009

On 23/12/2009 15:50, Johnny wrote:
>> One more thing to add that I don't know if it's related or not - the OSDs
>> always seem "fuzzy" rather than being sharp as I'd expect (and actually are
>> within DVD playback) - again is this down to the quality of the picture in
>> some way, or is there something else going on here?
>>
> This would indicate that your quality issues are with your playback
> not to do with your recordings. As others have said, my PVR-150
> recordings are excellent (as good as can be from the SD source). For
> me when I switched to VDPAU doing the rendering and deinterlacing, the
> picture is actually higher quality than if I watch it straight from
> the cable. What hardware are you using? CPU/GPU? What playback profile
> are you using? These will greatly affect the image quality you see.

I'd not considered my playback profile.  It's currently set to CPU+.
Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about Myth as a priority when I built
this box, but it's using an Asus M2A74-AM motherboard with onboard GPU
(ATI, unfortunately) - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177201 - with an
AM2 2.4 Ghz CPU and 2GB of ram.  Not sure if I mentioned before or not,
but DVD playback is perfectly acceptable (in VLC at least, in myth I
seem to be suffering from the stuttering bug though I understand a fix
for that is imminent?).

Any tips appreciated, even if they're "get an nvidia PCI-E card", but
cheaper options (ie should I use something other than CPU+) are better
at this stage!

Cheers,
James.