[mythtv-users] Recording a show on specific days of the week

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Wed Dec 23 11:54:47 UTC 2009

Vitani wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> I was just wondering, while the eight options MythTV already has to record
> shows (only this showing, one a day, any time/channel, etc.) cover almost
> everything I've needed to record so far, I was wondering if there's a way to
> take that one step further and only record a show on certain days of the
> week? For example, Eastenders (for my wife, honest!) is on five times a week
> - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and then there is an omnibus on Sundays,
> I'd like to set Myth up so that it never recorded the Sunday episode. I'm
> guessing it's just not possible at the moment, but I thought I'd ask!

I fix this for a couple of other soaps by setting up a Custom Record, and excluding any
episode where the description starts with the word "Omnibus". You would need to look at
the exact program details to work out if this is possible. Alternatively, again with a
smart search you can exclude based on the day of the week, or even on the program length
(if it's over say 1 hour, allowing for one-off specials then skip it).

There may well be pre-canned examples that need little or no editing to adapt them for
your needs. Just lkooked, and there's a snippet for a specific day of the week, so you
can easily change that to the negative by changing the = to !=

Your query would end up looking something like:

TITLE = 'Eastenders' AND
DAYNAME(program.starttime) != 'Sunday'

I would recommend you investigate the exclusion based on the Omnibus word being missing
or the length of the program being too long though, as schedules may well change,
especially at this time of year, so regular episode may be on a Sunday.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop
for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts