[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Dec 21 21:40:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Robert McNamara
>> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> users that myth is intended as a "product."  Myth is (IMHO) a
>>> "project," and not one driven by marketshare, user uptake, hardware
>>> partnerships, etc.  When it ceases to be fun, work slows or stops-- so
>>> if one cannot contribute, the best thing they can do is at least to to
>>> maintain a fun environment so that working on Myth isn't a chore.
>> So why even bother to have a mythtv-users mailing list if the
>> developers don't want to hear from users?
>> I've listed both specific as well as general issues that I see with
>> MythTV both in terms of its documentation as well as its development
>> process.
> The users list is for users to have a place to discuss and help one
> another with setup and use issues.  Many/most of the developers are
> not subscribed to this list because they find it either too caustic or
> the signal to noise ratio too low.

Such lists usually are.  Does anybody triage postings for ones that
SHOULD be seen
by the developers?

I'm sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic when you said:

>I think the message he's trying to convey is "If you don't want
>to/can't muck around in the source code, you will have to make do with
>what you get, because we're all human beings doing this in our spare
>time, for free, and doing our best while still trying to pay the

I'll stop trying to convince people (core developers?) that spending
some time improving technical documentation would more then pay for
itself in less noise on mythtv-users, better bug reports,
occasional bug fixes, etc.

I won't respond to any further messages on this thread.  If for some
reason someone wants to continue you can email me offlist.

Bill Bogstad