[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 21:24:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> users that myth is intended as a "product."  Myth is (IMHO) a
>> "project," and not one driven by marketshare, user uptake, hardware
>> partnerships, etc.  When it ceases to be fun, work slows or stops-- so
>> if one cannot contribute, the best thing they can do is at least to to
>> maintain a fun environment so that working on Myth isn't a chore.
>
> So why even bother to have a mythtv-users mailing list if the
> developers don't want to hear from users?
> I've listed both specific as well as general issues that I see with
> MythTV both in terms of its documentation as well as its development
> process.

The users list is for users to have a place to discuss and help one
another with setup and use issues.  Many/most of the developers are
not subscribed to this list because they find it either too caustic or
the signal to noise ratio too low.

>> More flies with honey and all that.
>
> Another way to look at this is that as a potential bug
> reporter/documentation fixer, what I'm getting is vinegar.  My
> messages may have been a bit sarcastic, but I haven't flamed anyone.
> I haven't demanded
> (any) new features.  I've pointed out that there are huge numbers of
> core mythtv-setup options that if they are documented anywhere it
> might be in some list thread somewhere or perhaps a changelog from a
> year ago.  In some cases, I have posted my best guess on how things
> work.  Without reading even more of the source code then I already
> have, I don't see how I can do more.  As I alluded to in another note,
> there is a pretty big jump from 'naive user' to 'core developer' and
> it seems to me that there isn't much in the way of  help for people
> trying to make progress on that path.  Or maybe I just don't know
> where to look.
> I doubt if  I will ever become a core developer, but I could provide
> bug reports with specific source
> code line numbers if it was easier to figure out how the pieces fit together.

You are "pointing out" thing that, as I mentioned and you edited out,
we all already know about.  So again, it serves no purpose other than
to unburden yourself and increase frustration of those in the position
to do something about it.  There are a limited number of man hours to
go around.  When they are devoted to one place, they are taken from
another.  We just can't win.

Robert