[mythtv-users] MythTV and Pulseaudio

auric auric at aanet.com.au
Mon Dec 21 21:20:53 UTC 2009

> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:51:33 -0500
> From: Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV and Pulseaudio
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Stephan Seitz
> <stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > My Debian Installation of MythTV is version 0.22-0.9. Frontend and Backend
> > are different computers (both running Debian/Testing, 64bit).
> > The package libmyth-0.22-0 depends on libpulse0.
> >
> > I am trying to convert my MythTV-Frontend vom ALSA to Pulseaudio.  According
> > to http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#MythTV version 0.21 should be
> > able to use the ALSA pulse plugin.
> >
> > But I can?t see ?ALSA:pulse? in the frontend configuration.
> > If I use a .asoundrc to route all ALSA sound through the pulse plugin, I
> > don?t hear anything from MythTV, because according to the start messages of
> > the frontend it disables the pulseaudio daemon.
> >
> > What can I do to use MythTV with pulseaudio? Thanks for the answers.
> >
> > Shade and sweet water!
> >
> >        Stephan
>

> MythTV doesn't work with PulseAudio.  You'll have to suspend
> Pulseaudio to use Myth.

Firstly I'm running Mythtv 0.22 ATrpm builds of myth on fedora 10 & 12.
So don't know about other builds/distros.

1) By default myth will use ALSA and disable the pulse sound server.
	By default fedora installs package alsa-plugins-pulseaudio which
redirects ALSA clients to the pulse server. So either a)
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio needs to be removed or b) /etc/asound.conf
changed to go direct to ALSA hardware drivers and not via pulse server.
(/etc/asound.conf is what alsa-plugins-pulseaudio changes to redirect to
pulse)
e.g. I still have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed and changed
my /etc/asound.conf to
defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 0

2) Use MythTV EXPERIMENTALLY PULSE
	Set environment variable EXPERIMENTALLY_ALLOW_PULSE_AUDIO=1 before you
start mythfrontend.
	In fedora 12 pulse replaces all mixer controls with a single one
"Master" So you need to change MythTV mixer control to "Master" (With
capital M) Output is still ALSA:default. (I assume this means myth is
still using the ALSA client API and not pulse client API and thus
EXPERIMENTALLY_ALLOW_PULSE_AUDIO just turns off the "disable pulse
server" myth feature.).
	Naturally this means you need alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed and
the /etc/asound.conf as per alsa-plugins-pulseaudio settings.

I use 1) for my main system (fedora 10), but have just upgraded a
notebook to fedora 12 and have set it up using option 2). Seems to work
ok, but was just a play and not really used at all yet. Plus have no
idea if spdif output is supported.

Auric