[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Dec 21 18:09:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:

> <RANT>

Really? I found it quite simple to set up. Part of that, in my case, is that
I'm using ATSC, not cable. Comcast seems to go out of their way to make life
difficult for people that aren't using one of their boxes. I told it what
tuner I have, did a channel scan, and off to the races. Really, the TV
recording config for the backend was the simplest part for me to set up.

I agree that the docs could use improvements, but most of the things you
complained about sound to me like they fall on Comcast, not Myth. Myth
simply doesn't have the necessary data to map the channels properly, so
various people have tried to hack around the problem. My wife still misses a
couple cable shows, but we just get them on DVD. That seems to make her
happy and we save a lot of money. I'd be willing to pay for Comcast if they
worked properly with Myth, but as they refuse to be reasonable, I see no
reason to keep paying them $100/mo.

The SD/HD thing is an area I can see people being irritated, but it seems to
me that adding the code to deal with it takes devs away from more important
matters for something that will have very limited usefulness. As HD capable
FE machines drop below $200 and SD phases out, it doesn't make much sense to
me to spend the time on it. I see not wanting to buy new hardware, but it's
not like we didn't all have fair warning that the DTV changeover and HDTV
were coming.