[mythtv-users] U-verse questions

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:04:07 UTC 2009

I currently have comcast, which I'm recording clear QAM with an HDHR and SD
from two digital boxes via PVR-250s.

The U-verse folks came around the other day to tell me it's now available in
the area.  So ... how well can I get this to work with MythTV?

Obviously the HDHR would have to be switched to OTA, or if i change my
comcast service to just the lowest possible (basic cable only) I should
still be able to record the QAM with the convenience of a useful multirec?
I haven't priced it yet but I think I might still be saving money with
that.  I've never even attempted to pick up any OTA signals and I don't have
any kind of antenna, so I don't know how well that will work.

Changing channels ... can the channel be changed on the U-verse box by
firewire, USB, serial or does it have to be IR blaster?  I've never had to
use an IR blaster before, how does the one with the HD-PVR perform with

I'd be getting an HD-PVR to record from the box, I'd like to have it setup
as much as possible before the installation date.  I see the HD-PVR does
have SD composite and S-VIDEO inputs as well as the component input.  If I
set it up to record from one of the SD comcast boxes via one of those
inputs, how easy or difficult would it be to change to the component input