[mythtv-users] U-verse questions

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:04:07 UTC 2009

I currently have comcast, which I'm recording clear QAM with an HDHR and SD
from two digital boxes via PVR-250s.

The U-verse folks came around the other day to tell me it's now available in
the area.  So ... how well can I get this to work with MythTV?

Obviously the HDHR would have to be switched to OTA, or if i change my
comcast service to just the lowest possible (basic cable only) I should
still be able to record the QAM with the convenience of a useful multirec?
I haven't priced it yet but I think I might still be saving money with
that.  I've never even attempted to pick up any OTA signals and I don't have
any kind of antenna, so I don't know how well that will work.

Changing channels ... can the channel be changed on the U-verse box by
firewire, USB, serial or does it have to be IR blaster?  I've never had to
use an IR blaster before, how does the one with the HD-PVR perform with
lirc?

I'd be getting an HD-PVR to record from the box, I'd like to have it setup
as much as possible before the installation date.  I see the HD-PVR does
have SD composite and S-VIDEO inputs as well as the component input.  If I
set it up to record from one of the SD comcast boxes via one of those
inputs, how easy or difficult would it be to change to the component input
later?