[mythtv-users] Database backup (was Re: connect an 0.22 front end to an 0.21 backend)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 21 04:01:58 UTC 2009

On 12/20/2009 10:50 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 22:43 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 12/20/2009 10:35 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:
>>
>>> I updated a system to Ubuntu 9.10 with Mythtv-0.22, but my master
>>> backend is running oS11.1 with Mythtv-0.21, is there a way to get the
>>> front end to connect to the master backend and not have it complain
>>> about the difference in database schema's?
>>>
>> No.  Not without breaking your database data, and even if you did it,
>> the frontend would be completely non-functional.
>>
>   Thanks Mike, I'll see if I can get the earlier version put on the
> laptop, frankly I'd love to just dump oS, but until I can get the
> database backup script to run, I'm kinda stuck with it.

The database backup script is something I /can/ help you with (and feel
free to step back into IRC if that was you in there earlier--I'm sphery
in there).

What, specifically is the problem with it?

If it's a lack of Perl support on your system (I don't know what oS11.1
is), you can always run the backup script from any other system with
Perl and the MySQL client tools installed (i.e. an Ubuntu LiveCD or your
frontend system).  You don't need to run it on the same host running the
database server.

See, also, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore .  The
first section (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Script-based_Database_Backup_and_Restore
) includes directions for downloading an up-to-date copy of the backup
script.

If there is a problem, I'd love to fix it, so I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Mike