[mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 21 02:53:12 UTC 2009

On 12/20/2009 09:34 PM, Michael Drons wrote:
> How do I configure SD frontends to only use compatible tuners?  I have the following tuners in my backend
>
> HDHR
> HDPVR  -- tuner id 1
> PVR500
> PVR250
>
> and my SD frontends always try and use the HDPVR when starting livetv.

Right now your only option is to configure your system such that LiveTV
always defaults to the standard-def only cards.  I don't feel like
describing how, so I'll link you to a completely unrelated post with a
lot of info on how the LiveTV capture card is chosen with the
many/various settings and let you figure out the configuration to use.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/369358#369358

> Does/should the FE send a QUERY message for the tuner type?

I personally think that the extra code and settings to allow users to
specify "this is an underpowered system that can't play back some types
of video" is not worth the cost of time to implement, test, and
maintain.  IMHO, any MythTV user should get frontends capable of playing
the content they have.

But, if you feel like implementing some functionality, feel free to do
so.  I won't be the one reviewing the patch or deciding whether to
commit it, so feel free to ask the other devs their thoughts on the
matter/try to sell the idea to them.

Mike