[mythtv-users] Myth with Dish Network / DirectTV ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:52:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Jeff <junk_inbox at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>   It seems like I don't see much discussion here about using Myth
>> with Dish Network or Direct TV. I assume there must be some users out
>> there and this is directed toward them.
>
> <snip>
>>
>> 4) I could dump Comcast completely and go with a satellite company.
>> This seems interesting as they have always supplied a lot of receivers
>> with their base installation so that would give me a fighting chance
>> in terms of cost and media, or so I think.
>>
>>   I'm wondering how well satellite TV works these days? They say they
>> have the local channels. They supply everything I need. I don't care
>> much about HD so my recording is pretty easy technology wise.
>>
>>   What's the verdict these days?
>
> Mark,
>   I've been using Dish Network with my MythTV setup since 'day 1'...   I
> currently have 3 Standard-Definition Dish receivers feeding S-Video and
> Analog audio to Hauppauge SD tuners - a PVR-500 and PVR-250.
>   I use one lirc instance to control all 3 receivers (as Dish receivers can
> be set to 16 different IR code sets), and I don't experience any 'missed' or
> 'incorrect' channel changes - I think that's just a balance of adjusting the
> IR blasters to be 'aimed' properly so that they get received reliably by the
> receivers.  (IE: Not over-driving the IR detector, etc.)  That is easily
> tested with 'livetv' and jumping around channels   (I use low-power
> transmitters that are right in front of each sat receiver)
>   Oh, and Dish offers the local channels, but for $5 extra a month, and at
> least the Standard-Def versions of them are compressed a bit, so the quality
> isn't as good as one would expect.  (As noted, I don't have HD dish
> equipment, so I can't comment on that.)
>   Anyways, I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have, and to post
> my channel-change scripts, lirc config, etc...  ;-)
> J-e-f-f-A

Hi all,
   A big thanks to everyone who answered. I really appreciate the time
you all put into your responses. I'm glad to know that there's a
possibility of converting to satellite TV if the need arises.

   This thread has called to mind that should I go this way I'll be
required to build a completely new backend based on older technology.
I have two old PRV-150s no longer in use after switching to a Mac Mini
with an HDHR. Unfortunately the Mini obviously has no PCI slots and
would be pretty useless as a backend so I'd have to come up with a new
machine. (The old PCI-based backend was decommissioned 12 months ago
but it's so slow I'd rather not go back to it.)

   Again, thanks for the inputs. I'll start doing some study.

Cheers,
Mark