[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Thu Dec 17 22:41:17 UTC 2009

Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
>> Outside of a few specific types of activities, like large, detailed
>> simulations, (nuclear bombs, weather, modern games(!)) or something like
>> CAD on chips, you don't really NEED a 64-bit CPU
>
> Nonsense.
>
> You can never have too much ram (or virtual address space).

On the other hand, you can choose to do other things with that money.
It's all a tradeoff.

Incidentally, for my day job I just happen to do CAD on chips, and I
generally use 64-bit machines.  Oddly enough, the particular stuff I
work on don't need to 64-bit capacity, but other things do, and the
software is written to handle the bigger jobs.  Therefore I end up
running 64-bit software even on my smaller stuff, because it's what's
available.

Keep in mind that at the end, I did come out in favor of 64-bit, and
it's kind of for the same reason - the software you want to run.

Dale Pontius